Tuesday, April 25, 2023

New Album Announcement

'Don't Die In The Bundu', the fourth studio album is out on Bella Union
July 21st! 

In celebration of July's release, the first single, 'Dream State' is out today, everywhere!

In many ways, I can't help but feel this is one of my most significant offerings yet, and it brings me great joy to finally hand this body of work over to you, my friends and wellwishers!

The title alone has been in the back of my mind for a few years,  and I guess it was a culmination of experiences and initiations I had to go through to fully realize the title- 'Don't Die In The Bundu'.

This record was conceived amidst the backdrop of global lockdowns, curfews, tumultuous weather and uprisings, a record deal, a publishing deal, coupled with the promise of new life through the conception, pregnancy and birth of my son, River, who made his appearance on a stormy morning in the very same timber cabin the album was recorded in! And the same cabin in which I came head to head with a mighty, golden Cape Cobra, forever imprinted in my minds eye.

Among these experiences, and when my son was around 6 months old, I was out doing the official album photo shoot with a dear friend, and during this shoot we had an encounter with two gun wielding masked bandits, the ordeal ended with an ominous  fully clothed wade into the freezing Cape winter ocean which the bandits used as their escape- my friends great negotiating skills allowed us to keep the memory card in which the photos were stored, so the shots all carry the mood leading up to that fateful encounter. It took a good few months before I actually processed what had happened, I felt close to death that night in June, it could've turned out very differently, but it did help me settle on the title.

This also happens to be my first official @bella_union release since signing with the UK label in 2021- and its been amazing to have a team of really wonderful humans who believe in what I do, helping out with so many aspects of my career and this release.

It's quite astonishing at just how much can happen in such a short timeframe which makes me curious and inspired about the future.

Big love, as always to you all xx


No comments:

Post a Comment